By Ray Hickson
Selections based on a good track.
Race 1 - 12:25PM TAB.COM.AU 4YO&UP MAIDEN PLATE (1100 METRES)
2. Rockamo holds the key to this race. Ex-Kiwi with only two starts under his belt, both sound performances, in a very winnable race. Trial win on his new home track was impressive enough and he should run well.
Dangers: 3. Em Cee Gee blew the start by some four lengths then caught up quickly and battled on well to hold third in a small field at Gosford two weeks ago. Had a few chances but a repeat effort would see her be competitive. 7. Rubielie hasn’t raced since February and was reasonably consistent without winning last time in. Placed when resuming last prep and is one of the hopes. 1. First Fleet is also back from a spell, is a 27-start maiden so hard to be super keen on him but gets every chance to perform from gate one.
How to play it: Rockamo WIN; Trifecta 2/1,3,7/1,3,7. Odds & Evens: SPLIT.
Race 2 - 1:00PM SKY RACING 4YO&UP MAIDEN HANDICAP (1350 METRES)
6. Mister Ripley is an 18-start maiden but his last few runs suggest he’s going well enough to break through if things can go his way. Worked hard early when narrowly denied at Tamworth last time. Drops 6kg and has a big chance.
Dangers: 1. River Tycoon had excuses for his failure here six weeks ago. Go on his luckless second, after almost throwing the rider at the start, over this course back on June 3 and he’s hard to beat. 5. Gloraya found the line well when resuming at Cowra and will appreciate a smaller field and the extra trip. Fitter and capable of being in the finish somewhere. 2. Company Line has been disappointing in three starts since a second at this track and trip back in April. Not a lot of depth here so could sneak into the placings.
How to play it: Mister Ripley WIN. Odds & Evens: SPLIT.
Race 3 - 1:35PM RYAN’S METAL ROOFING MAIDEN HANDICAP (1600 METRES)
2. Carlisle Bay has had no luck at all of late with wide runs but has still fought on bravely to place with his last two at Hawkesbury and Kembla being excellent efforts. Draws nicely this time and only has to hold form to be in the finish.
Dangers: 4. Kouklara should be fitter for two runs back and while he had his chance at Goulburn last time the step to a mile will suit. Worth another chance. 5. Contamination has been around the mark without winning and tried hard on a heavy 10 at Goulburn last time. Placed here three starts ago and is in the mix. 3. Fine Ruby is first-up at a mile and that makes him an interesting runner. Aside from his debut he’s been reasonably competitive and any support would be a significant pointer.
How to play it: Carlisle Bay E/W. Odds & Evens: EVENS.
Race 4 - 2:10PM DE BORTOLI WINES 3YO MAIDEN PLATE (1350 METRES)
2. Barrichello gets one more chance back to provincial level after three placings this time in at the midweeks, at least one of which he was unlucky not to win. Draws to get the perfect run and is the one to beat.
Dangers: 5. Fragore had plenty of support on debut and endured a wide run so his effort to run fourth wasn’t a bad one. Fitter for that and is the one with plenty of upside. Should run well. 3. Cat D’Oro started shorter than Barrichello at Kensington last time and only made some minor ground on him late. Four times placed in city maidens and he’s likely to be fitter so give another chance. 8. Whatever I Say made a handy debut at Newcastle chasing home Revivalist who has since run well in the city. Blinkers go on so he stays under notice.
How to play it: Barrichello WIN; Trifecta 2/3,5,8/3,5,8. Odds & Evens: SPLIT.
Race 5 - 2:45PM GREAT NORTHERN CLASS 1 HANDICAP (1200 METRES)
6. Day Performer is a last-start maiden winner on a heavy track but she’s also lightly raced so there’s still some potential for improvement. Led all the way at Gosford and should be prominent again for a long way here.
Dangers: 11. Sebrenco has struck heavy 10s in both runs back for handy second placings in the country. She’s another with some potential and her debut win was on a good track so commands some respect. 3. On Her Word has the ability to win this and she should be at her peak now after two placings at Gosford on heavy tracks. Hard to beat. 5. Curtis Island finished ahead of On Her Word two starts ago then stayed on okay behind Cueillir last time. Only win so far was at this track four runs ago and he’s an each-way chance.
How to play it: Day Performer E/W. Odds & Evens: SPLIT.
Race 6 - 3:25PM CARLTON WYONG GOLD CUP FRIDAY SEPTEMBER 3 HANDICAP (1100 METRES
9. Sniper Legend is very much looking for a firmer track even though he won first-up on a heavy then was run down at Gosford by Cueillir last time. Should press forward and if he finds the lead or a good spot on pace will take beating.
Dangers: 1. Ready To Soar can be forgiven for failing at Rosehill last time up in class and off a wide gate. Two provincial runs prior were sound at this sort of level and will enjoy a firmer track too. Sharp improver. 7. Moralist will be fitter for his first-up run in the same race as Sniper Legend and there was some market expectation that he would run well. Drawn to have a nice run and getting out of the heavy range a plus too. 3. Gidgee Guy is racing well without winning and just missed in a similar race to this at Hawkesbury before an even effort at Dubbo on a heavy 10. Each-way chance again.
How to play it: Sniper Legend WIN; Trifecta 9/1,3,7/1,3,7. Odds & Evens: ODDS.
Race 7 - 4:05PM HAPPY BIRTHDAY GRANT PIDGEON HANDICAP (1600 METRES)
7. Ocean Go failed on a heavy 9 at Gosford a couple of weeks ago but form before that was sound on firmer surfaces. Trained here, drawn well and it would be no surprise to see him bounce back.
Dangers: 8. Edge Of Darkness is lightly raced with only six starts to date and will be on the speed somewhere from an inside draw. Win three runs back was on a soft 5 so the conditions will be favourable here. 2. Go Gazza broke through for a maiden win over this course on July 20 and while up in class he’s another with some upside and could measure up. 6. Lake Tai is racing well and went down fighting at Goulburn last time. A mile on a good track should be no issue and he’s in the mix.
How to play it: Ocean Go each-way. Odds & Evens: SPLIT.
Race 8 - 4:45PM WYONG’S NEXT RACE MEETING SUNDAY AUGUST 29 HANDICAP (1350 METRES)
6. Lake Kastoria is an up and comer who has done nothing wrong to date with two wins on heavy tracks at Hawkesbury. If she can transfer her form to a better surface she has the chance to make it three from three.
Dangers: 11. Thailand didn’t fire in the Grafton Guineas but form before that was handy in this sort of company. Beaten half a length over this course three runs back and capable of improvement. 3. Defeat seemed to battle on the heavy 10 at Goulburn last time but is better than that. Back onto a good track, on his home track, he can bounce back to form. 2. Big Surprise raced on the speed and kept trying when runner-up to Yiyi at Newcastle and that form has held up well. Will be on the pace again and if he gets the right sort of run can give a good sight.
How to play it: Lake Kastoria WIN; Trifecta 6/2,3,11/2,3,11. Odds & Evens: SPLIT.